by Juhanna Rogers
Dr. Juliet E.K. Walker writes about the history of Black entrepreneurship and calls attention to the ways entrepreneurship has been at the center of Black progress in America. Historically, Black women worked as seamstresses, babysitters, beauticians, cooks, and bakers in the home, in addition to their full-time jobs, especially if they possessed the talents and skills to do so.
Today, when we see lists of successful Black women entrepreneurs, we often only see the names of entertainers. However, I wanted to present a list that has a more diverse mix of women. I wanted a list of everyday women who started with a dream and built successful companies from the ground up in a range of industries.
Read about nine incredible Black women CEOs and entrepreneurs below.
1. Zandra Cunningham, Zandra Beauty
2. Janice Bryant Howroyd, ACT•1 Group
3. Kim Wales, Wales Capital
4. Tina Wells, Buzz Marketing Group
5. Cathy Hughes, Radio One / TV One
6. Tracy Reese, Tracy Reese Designs
7. Kisha Barner, Pure Ambiance Event Design
8. Deidre Jefferies, ESPION Atelier
9. Dr. Simone Ellis, Smile Design Studio